Friday 24 July 2015

Urban Decay Ammo palette - Swatches and Review

Hello stunners!

We're back on the eyeshadow palette train and I'm the driver. I recently found out that there is a palette by Urban Decay called the Ammo Palette. It has 10 eyeshadows in it, some you may recognise and some you may not and I got it for about $50NZ on Trademe. Originally I was looking for just the Primer Potion but I decided to buy this instead because I got 10 eyeshadows as well for about the same price! Are you curious to hear my thoughts on it?




Let us take a moment to appreciate this packaging.. It is SO adorable. Even that little purple holder has the most beautiful colours and designs on it. The palette contains 10 shades as I said, comes with a travel size Primer Potion and is meant to have a brush that comes with it, but mine arrived at the stockist's without one. Check out the crazy detail in the images this skull is made up of: The one that I have is a remake of the palette, the original can be seen here. It was remade when Urban Decay changed the formulas for their eyeshadows. 


I know I can't stop raving about the packaging but I just can't help myself. Originally I did just want to buy a Primer Potion, but as they are about $50 on their own here in New Zealand, as far as I can find them, I decided to buy my first ever Urban Decay palette too. It's small so it's perfect for travel and is made out of a very sturdy cardboard which I like. The lid is magnetised which means it won't randomly fly open in your make up bag. LOVE! Okay, okay, I'll talk about the eyeshadows now.


Shades from left to right: Smog, Mildew, Oil Slick, Last Call, Chopper
Maui Wowie, Shattered, Polyester Bride, Grifter, Sin

On the inside there are the shades, a place that's supposed to hold the brush and quite a nice size mirror. I only have two complaints with this palette, the first is that these are ALL shimmery shades. All. No matters in sight, which is the only thing that stops it from being the only palette I will ever travel with. You will probably recognise quite a few shades from Naked palettes, which is a turn-off for those of you who own them. I'm honestly not sure where the other shades come from - they might be some singles that Urban Decay have put out or they might be completely unique to this palette. I'm hoping it's the latter. 

On the top row there is: Smog is a deep copper/bronze shimmer, Mildew is a light mossy green satin that has a hint of gold to it, Oil Slick is black with noticeable silver pieces of glitter in it (still very smooth and easy to work with), Last Call reminds me of the raspberry shade in the Maybelline Blushed Nudes palette, but darker and slightly more plum-y with a metallic finish, Chopper is a lighter copper shade with silver micro-shimmer throughout it. 
On the bottom row we have: Maui Wowie, a totally unique colour that I have trouble describing. It's gold yet beige yet slightly green and brings so much brightness to the eye and has slightly more noticeable glitter in it than Chopper, Shattered is a light blue shimmer with a hint of gold specks, Polyester Bride is the most beautiful, bright inner corner highlight, a true white with micro-glitters in it, Grifter is less pigmented than the rest of the shadows, it's a lavender shade, again with silver micro-glitter and Sin is a shimmery champaign shade with no noticeable glitter in it. 



I swatched every shade without primer and I think they're all beautiful. Grifter is sheerer than the other shades but once packed onto the lid it is stunning. My favourite shades in here are Maui Wowie, I think it's incredibly unique, Grifter once it's built up a bit and Polyester Bride, it does wonders to brighten up the inner corner. My second complaint is that there is so much fall out with all of the shades that I've used so far. I tend to end up with big chunks of silver glitter underneath my eyes. To remedy this, I just choose to do my eye make up before doing my face. 

I had never felt UD eyeshadows before and based on these I am incredibly impressed. If they had popped a matte brown in there to put in the crease this would be the perfect palette for me to travel with. The shades feel so smooth and buttery and, aside from Grifter, they're super pigmented and easy to work with. However I do think the quality of this palette and the selection of shades are stunning and worth the little bit of extra time/effort. Also love that they put mostly neutrals with a couple of pops of colour, I feel like that's the best way to do a smaller palette. The travel size Primer Potion is such a great addition, too! Makes life easier for sure. If you own this palette let me know your experiences and thoughts! I have been told that Shattered and Mildew were disappointing by one friend, but I disagree.

Thanks so much for reading,

WannabeMUA (Enya) xx

No comments:

Post a Comment